DOCVILLE 2018 has passed, the next edition will be March 27th - April 4th 2019.
The winners of the competition will be announced at the Award Ceremony in presence of the jury, followed by the screening of the film Mountain and a reception. The DOCVILLE jury hands out 3 awards:
The audience awards their favourite film with the DOCVILLE Audience Award. Nominees: all international films from the different programs
1. LEEN ENGELEN(BE) is a film and media historian. She teaches film and animation film students at LUCA School of Arts (Belgium). She is also part of the teaching team of the Docnomads master program in documentary film directing.
2. CHRISTOPHER QUIN (BE) is an awarded Film director, writer, and producer. His film God Grew Tired of Us (2006) won numerous prizes. In 2007, Quinn was awarded the emerging documentary filmmaker award by the International Documentary Association. His latest film – Eating Animals – is shown at DOCVILLE.
3. WARD VERRYCKEN (BE) is a movie reporter for Belgian public broadcaster VRT. Claims he remembers only things that happen in movies.
4. TOM BLEYAERT graduated as master in Politics and Social Science from the University Ghent. Started working for the national broadcaster VRT in 2000. Since 2001 he is responsible for the purchase of international documentaries for CANVAS.
5. NEASA NÍ CHIANÁIN (IE) is an Irish documentary filmmaker, best known for her 2016 film In Loco Parentis/School Life which premiered at IDFA and Sundance Film Festival and won the Jury Prize of Best International Documentary at DOCVILLE 2017. Since 2006, Neasa has been co-director of the Guth Gafa International Documentary Film Festival.
6. DANIEL CROSS (CA) is the Founder of Eyesteelfilm in Montreal and Associate Professor and previous Chair of the Mel Hoppenheim School of Cinema, Concordia University in Montreal. A multi-disciplined award-winning filmmaker with a long history of directing and producing theatrical documentaries as well as interactive documentary approaches.
7. BART MAES (BE) From sound engineer, cameraman and trouble shooter to globetrotter, director and creator of author documentaries: Bart was involved in the making of numerous ( 100+) author driven films and founded his own production company ZON*DER_LING.
8. MARTIN HORYNA (CZ) is a Member of the Program Department at the Karlovy Vary IFF which is held annually in July in the Czech Republic, where he is programming documentaries. Previously he worked as a film journalist and critic.
9. ANNA VAN DER WEE (NL) is producer and director, head of Wild Heart Productions. Van der Wee has produced for more than 20 years award winning, relevant and compelling documentaries which have played in theatres and been bought by broadcasters from around the world.